When it comes to Benefit Plan Audits and Form 5500 Filing Experience Matters
As members of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) and the Employee Benefit Audit Quality Center, LSL CPAs offers ERISA employee benefit plan audit services. Led by Maria T. Arriola, CPA for over 15 years, our audit team can help you avoid plan viability problems and potential fines.
Did you know the federal government mandates ERISA employee benefit plan audits? Under the requirements of ERISA (Employment Retirement Income Security Act) Section 103, employee benefit plans with 100 or more participants are considered ‘large’ plans. These large plans must have an employee benefit plan audit performed by an independent certified public accountant. They also must file a Form 5500 annual report, a government form jointly developed by the Department of Labor (DOL) and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
Plans with fewer than 100 participants at the beginning of the year are considered ‘small’ plans and are eligible for the Small Pension Plan Audit Waiver. The Department of Labor (DOL) however has identified the range of 80 – 120 participants (this number is determined at the start of the plan year) as a grey area. In this grey area, a company has the option to continue as a ‘small’ plan or elect ‘large’ plan status. The choices for a plan falling into the 80 – 120 participant range are as follows:
|Number of Participants at Beginning of Current Year||Requirements Followed for the Previous Year Form 5500||Requirements to Be Followed for the Current Year Form 5500|
|80 – 99 (inclusive)||Small plan||Small plan|
|80 – 99 (inclusive)||Large plan||May elect to file Form 5500 again as a large plan or switch to a small plan|
|100 – 120 (inclusive)||Small plan||May elect to file Form 5500 again as a small plan or switch to a large plan|
|100 – 120 (inclusive)||Large plan||Large plan|
|More than 120||Large plan||Large plan|
|More than 120||Small plan||Large plan|
Employee Benefit Plan Audit from LSL = An Informed Decision
Our goal is to give you access to the resources you need to make an informed decision. LSL has a dedicated team of experienced auditors to perform your next employee benefit plan audit in an efficient, timely manner, making the experience as stress free as possible.
If you need an ERISA Employee Benefit Plan Audit, please feel free to contact the LSL employee benefit plan audit team leader, Maria T. Arriola at (657) 859-2765.
See: Obtaining Quality Employee Benefit Plan Audit Services: The Request for Proposal and Auditor Evaluation Process (read article in .pdf form)
Recent ERISA Benefits Posts
- IRS Announces 2018 Retirement Plan Contribution Limits On October 19th the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) announced IRS 2018 Adjusted Retirement plan contribution limits inflation-adjusted figures for retirement account savings for 2018. 401(k)s: The amount you can contribute to your 401(k), ...
- LSL Partner Maria Arriola Describes Pension Plan Audits In The Orange … In the Orange County Business Journal, LSL CPAs shareholder Maria Arriola has published a well-received article on auditing pension plans. Featured in the Employment Resources & Solutions supplement, Maria Arriola ...
- How to Remedy Late Contributions to a 401k Plan If your company has a pension plan you should be aware of late contribution rules. No matter the size of your plan or the number of plan participants, if you ...
- What to do if You Miss the Deadline for Filing Form 5500 Missing the final deadline for filing your Form 5500 is a common pitfall for plan administrators. The filing due date for a Form 5500 is seven months after the end ...
- New ERISA Disclosure Requirements The Department of Labor (DOL) has recently released new FINAL rules regarding the ERISA 408(b)(2). These disclosure rules become effective April 1, 2012. Service and fee disclosure regulations – ERISA Section ...
- Top 10 Plan Sponsor Misconceptions The Department of Labor (DOL) requires an ERISA pension audit for all “large” pension plans, those with over 120 participants. Not only should the auditor you hire help you to ...
- Need A New Pension Auditor? 5 Signs that you need a new pension auditor
- 401k Pension Audit Tips On Thursday, Nov. 5 th our very own Maria T. Arriola stole the show at the Transamerica Retirement Services Breakfast for Financial Advisers. The presentation was attended by over 30 different ...