Be the Thought Leader in Your Finance Department
Running a finance department means juggling on-going challenges:
Budget, Budget. Budget!
Rising Pension Costs
Reliable Reporting Tools
ERP & Other Technologies
We love helping finance departments thrive! Whether you only need an audit or are looking for help with bigger challenges, we have you covered. Think of us as your resource for ever-changing compliance, regulations, new GASB's and technologies.
Getting the compliance work done is the first step.
We prepare Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports (CAFR) as well as Single Audits under OMB Circular A-133 and the new uniform guidance.
Streamline your processes, systems, policies & procedures to reduce activities that cost staff time and money.
We’ll help you automate the redundant day-to-day tasks and improve efficiencies in your department so you can focus on the bigger picture. We’ll also share what other organizations are doing to manage budgets, pension costs and other shared challenges, and connect you to others who can help.
Keeping you up to date on the latest GASB pronouncements, best practices, and other current topics through a series of videos, templates and guides. All designed to support staff accountants, managers, controllers, & CFOs.
Automation = Cost Reduction
Increase efficiency and improve controls by leveraging technology. We’ll assist and advise on ERP implementation, process automation, enhanced reporting and cloud strategies that fit your needs.
Meet the Team
What Our Clients Say
“LSL embodies professionalism. They’re the best audit firm I’ve worked with.”
Nathan Black, CPA, Auditor-Controller | Sutter County
"LSL team members are not only knowledgeable and responsive but also friendly and personable. The audit process feels like a collaborative effort between City staff and the LSL team."
Kate Zawadzki, Deputy Finance Director | City of Dixon
"Basically, in my opinion, LSL is an amazing partner. You have helped us meet rigorous deadlines for CAFR production, answered “other” process questions both during and after regular business hours and always been pleasant and professional."
Jeanette Prickett, Finance Manager | City of Big Bear Lake
Financial and Compliance audits
Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports (CAFR) preparation and review
Single Audits (OMB Circular A-133 and new Uniform Guidance)
Agreed upon procedures
Litigation support (consulting and expert witness)
Policies and procedures/Internal controls
Interim reporting or staffing
CAFR reporting models
Financial training and education
GASB implementation consulting
IT strategic planning and consulting
Related reading about Governmental Accounting…
- What You Need to Know Regarding Single Audit Compliance Related to COVID-19 Federal Funds ReceivedWhat You Need to Know Regarding Single Audit Compliance Related to COVID-19 Federal Funds Received OMB issues M 20-26, a memorandum regarding the extension of Administrative Relief for Recipients and Applicants of Federal Financial Assistance Directly Impacted by COVID-19, dated June 18, 2020, which provides some clarification on “Administrative Relief Exceptions for COVID-19 Crisis” and specifies required appropriate records and documentation to maintain supporting charges against the federal ...
- COVID-19: 401(k) Plan Employer’s Action ListThe Families First Coronavirus Response Act “FFCRA” and Coronavirus Aid Relief and Economic Security Act “CARES Act” have impacted employee benefits and retirement plans in general. Here’s some of the many changes included in those acts that we want you to be aware of and suggestions for actions to take. Changes CARES Act allows early withdrawals made on or after Jan. 1, 2020 without the 10% penalty for early ...
- Coronavirus, Emergency Funding, and Single Audit GuidanceAs we are all aware, information related to Coronavirus changes by the hour. The financial ramifications of the economic shutdown in response to Coronavirus are expected to significantly, adversely affect individuals and the public and private sectors. To ease these negative consequences, the Federal Government has provided stimulus payments to individuals, small business loans, payment protection program loans, and federal emergency assistance grant programs. Many of these ...
- COVID-19 Resources for Government Financial DepartmentsThe COVID-19 pandemic has affected local government nationwide. We understand there are numerous items keeping you up at night and everyone is trying to take one issue at a time. Unfortunately, during this time the budgets for next year are being made, with large amounts of uncertainties, and now the current year is coming to a close with even more uncertainty. Here are some quick link resources ...
- Keeping Internal Controls Solid in a Remote EnvironmentBy now I am sure you have either already completed, are in the middle of, or are preparing for your interim audit fieldwork. Auditors’ use this time to assess and often times test your internal controls over financial reporting, checking levels of review and approval, safeguards over financial assets and embedded controls and user access within your accounting system. This fiscal year, things are likely business as ...
- Tips for a Successful Remote Interim AuditWhat a month it has been, right? We couldn’t have imagined our world and the way we work to literally change overnight, but we have seen just that. Local government finance departments saw priorities and “business as usual” change almost immediately. This time of year, priorities are usually focused on the upcoming fiscal year budget. And, of course, looking forward to LSL’s amazing Annual GASB Update Event! ...
- GASB Standards DelayGiven the current circumstances surrounding COVID-19, the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) began a project to tentatively delay current and pending standards by up to one year, subject to due process. An exposure draft is slated for release within the next few weeks with a short comment period. The GASB has a goal of finalizing the project by late May or early June. Currently, GASB Statement Nos. 83, ...
- GASB 87 Update: Lease AccountingA year and half from now, governmental entities will be reporting leases in accordance with GASB Statement No. 87(which is first effective for June 30, 2021, year ends). While it may seem like a long time, the time and effort needed to prepare for implementation will be significant for many entities, and that time is rapidly approaching. For that reason, we’ve laid out five key steps to follow ...
- GASB 84 Update: Fiduciary ActivitiesAs we wrap up our June 30, 2019 audits, we are now well into fiscal year 2020, which brings us a new, and potentially challenging accounting pronouncement! In January 2017, the Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) issued Statement No. 84, Fiduciary Activities, which establishes criteria for identifying and reporting fiduciary activities for all state and local governments. This statement is effective for fiscal years beginning after Dec. 15, 2018. Backstory Prior ...
- Insight When Considering a Cloud ERP Program / ServiceSo you’re considering moving to an ERP Program or Service in the Cloud. Here is some insight on the opportunities, the risks, and things to consider when considering a cloud ERP Program, or Service: The Opportunities and Benefits: Cost – Cloud computing eliminates capital expenses involved with hardware, software setup and upgrades. If the cloud is based off-site with a third-party it eliminates electricity and cooling costs associated with ...
- Top 5 Things to Consider When Doing an ERP ImplementationERP stands for Enterprise Resource Planning and refers to a suite of software applications that the organization use to manage activities. The key benefits include integration of systems across Organization departments and business functions into a common database and therefore promoting efficiency, improved control, and more streamlined processes. In today’s environment with increased computer data and non-communicating systems and processes, sounds like something your Organization could use, right? Well ...
- California State Association of County Auditors (CalSACA) SACA Spring Conference & Golf Tournament – April 15-18, 2019Location: Resort at Squaw Creek, Lake Tahoe Speakers: Bryan Gruber, CPA and Ken Macias, CPA Also attending: Rich Kikuchi, CPA, Debbie Harper, CPA and Brandon Young, CPA Topic: TBA More info and to register: https://www.calsaca.org/calendar
- LSL CPAs attend the 2019 CSMFO ConferenceThe LSL CPAs Government Team is having some fun at the 2019 CSMFO Conference in Palm Springs, CA. Thank you to everyone who had the opportunity to drop by our booth! LSL CPAs wanted to take full advantage of this year’s Conference Theme: Guardians of the Finance Galaxy. Using Nerf guns, “contestants” had 4 opportunities to shoot down the Guardian’s target – Winners got a special prize! Not only ...